Thursday, May 28, 2009

EOC WEEK 8

Update final project; Business Law, we have been giving the task to find a Supreme Court case and write about it. The case I chose was Chicago V. Morales a case that questions the motives and interpretation of Chicago’s Gang Congregation Ordinance. I chose this case because it struck me funny the way people try to hide their true intentions, and think none are the wiser. To me this is another form of profiling just in a different package. The ordinance allowed officers to become officials in who is and isn’t displaying apparent purpose. A definition used by Chicago’s police department to describe loitering in public places, mainly targeting “Criminal Street gang members”. (Chicago v. Morales, 1999) This project will been done in seven parts, part one I have already posted titled “Facts of the Case” what brought the case before the supreme court, other post will cover topics like “Issue of the case” a post on why the case was brought before the supreme court, “Decisions of the court” how the case was ruled, “Reasoning of the court” analysis on the thinking on the decision, “Rule of law” a summary on the main precedent, “Your own argument” my judgment on the ruling, and “Dissent” what was the opinion of the justices who ruled against the ruling. I plan on researching the case and following through to see if there were any precedents ruled prior to this case. Reading the judges reasoning for ruling in favor or against the case and posting my findings on this blogspot. I plan on doing a systematic review of the material I find on the Supreme Court’s ruling. So let the hammers swing as they may!

No comments:

Post a Comment