Thursday, May 7, 2009

Morse vs. Frederick

EOC WEEK 5
This is one of those times I’m going to have to agree with the Courts decision. Although, I wouldn’t have been offended by the banner displayed by Frederick, it was done in poor taste, and definitely at the wrong venue. I feel as though he truly believed he had the right to display his sign, but why at this event, and what was his motivation? Did he see himself as making a major blow for the Legalization of Marijuana? Nonetheless, he received what he had coming his way.
The sign that was displayed by Frederick was meant to get attention and show his views on the issue, I wonder if a High School is the best place to do this. I support freedom of speech, but there is times where some things just aren’t appropriate, this is call morals. He was asked to take the banner down and refused to comply that sounds like a suspension a me. I think Frederick had an obscure understanding of the first amendment and truly felt he was going to make his contribution. The 1st. Amendment reads as follows: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances”. However; if he was truly committed in his beliefs he wouldn’t have went across the street to do it. This tells me he knew he shouldn’t of use a school as his stage.
I find it funny that it became such a deal, Frederick a student told by a Principal to remove disruptive material for a school sanctioned event. “A minor on the schools watch cased closed”.

No comments:

Post a Comment